The law 1069/80 was the main reason why the Association was established. Its purpose is to coordinate the activities of its members and represent them. Furthermore, it assists its members to improve their services in the water supply and sewage sectors.
More specifically EDEYA:
- Claimed sustainable solutions from the State (Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Energy and Environment and other relevant Authorities) for the legal, institutional and financial problems of its members.
- Submitted several proposals and cooperated with the Ministry of Interior to replace the institutional framework of its members.
- Submitted a coherent proposal to the Special Secretariat of Water regarding the Water Resources Management in Greece.
- Transfers to its members information, experience and knowledge related to their activities.
- Informs its members about the European Environmental Programmes and participates as partner in relevant projects.
- Organizes educational programmes, seminars and workshops for the personnel of D.E.Y.A.s.
E.D.E.Y.A. has four Scientific Committees , one for the technical issues, one for the financial affairs, one for the environment issues and one for the monitoring of the European Funds.
In 1993 E.D.E.Y.A. became full member of EUREAU (EUROPEAN UNION OF NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF WATER SUPPLIERS AND SEWERAGE).
EDEYA supports DEYAs and transfers to them experience and know-How